Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's not the Titanic...it's the Taku!

Today Grandma and I enjoyed a beautiful ferry trip 88 miles south to Ketchkian, AK. The sky was blue for the most part and the water was so calm. Very smooth sailing. I saw a few porpoises jumping out of the water, racing with the ferry. I also saw several salmon jump. As I was standing at the stern of the ship, I couldn't help but think about the movie "Titanic" (especially since it was on TV the other night). If you've seen the movie, you'll remember the desperate girl standing at the railing, attempting to jump. Well, standing in the same spot today, I had no such feelings. I was thinking how beautiful a day it was and how I could stay out there all day, except for the fact that it was really cold! But this MN girl was loving every minute of it! I did check out the lifeboats though (because of seeing the movie), and I was glad to see there were plenty of them! After our six-hour trip, we arrived in Ketchikan and were greeted with lovely blue skies and a great view from our hotel room. I've enjoyed watching the sailboats out on the water. Beautiful night for sailing. It was great to be out on the water today. I enjoyed every minute of it!







I don't know why I took this picture, but I kinda like it!

This is leaving Wrangell, AK.

View from our hotel room in Ketchikan. Beautiful!

3 comments:

erin said...

i like the sailboat picture. very pretty

Elsie said...

Beautiful photos! I finally got to read -- catch up -- with your blog this am. Thanks for the invite! Greetings to Grandma...from Leatha

Jess(ica) said...

Wow, awesome pics here on your blog! I hope to visit Alaska someday! Thanks for inviting me to view your blog!! =)