Saturday, July 26, 2008

Feeling like a tourist isn't so bad...

This morning Grandma and I explored downtown Ketchikan, since it wasn't raining. In the four days we've been here, we've had three days without rain--very unusual. Hauling around my backpack and a camera around my neck, well, I'm sure I stuck out like a sore thumb. But I fit in well with the cruise ship tourists. We went to the Deer Mountain Tribal Hatchery and Eagle Center. They raise fish there which will eventually be released in streams. It was amazing to see how many fish were in the tanks. There were two eagles with injured wings, so they'll never fly again. They are cared for at the center and they'll live there until they die--maybe 50 years. It was fun to see them up close.

Next we visited the Totem Heritage Center where there are many old totem poles--probably the oldest ones in Southeast Alaska, I'm told. Very interesting. There also was a lot of art, such as baskets and beadwork. We also hit the museum at the library. Yes, we were busy! After lunch, we visited a few of the local shops, but Grandma had her eyes and nose keenly tuned to where the candy shop was. When we walked in to that store, the aromas were wonderful. We ended up getting some fudge. Very delicious!

Then it was time to head back to the hotel so we could catch the shuttle to the ferry terminal. But of course we had to stop at our favorite hangout--McDonald's--to get some ice cream before we left. YUM! Off to the ferry and we enjoyed a beautiful trip back to Wrangell on the Matanuska. There were 2 forest service employees on the ferry, explaining about the area we were traveling. A few times, they spotted orcas in the water, but by the time I got my camera and went outside, they weren't anywhere to be seen. I think they were pretty far away, so I wasn't too disappointed that I didn't see them. I'm too spoiled anyway, because I don't think anything will be better than the trip our family took in 1990 where we had humpback whales diving under the sailboat. So, I didn't get pictures of whales, but I still was outside quite often as the sun began to set. The clouds were gorgeous and the sun's rays were streaming through the clouds and reflecting on the water. It's amazing how the colors kept changing. Absolutely breathtaking. It was a great trip, and both of us were glad to be back home in Wrangell.



No comments: