Sunday, July 13, 2008

Beautiful Day!

Waking up this morning, I never would have guessed it would turn out to be such a beautiful day. Sitting in church, I could see the sun streaming through the stained-glass windows and I couldn't wait to get outside. Thanks, God, for such a wonderfully beautiful sky! The breeze was cool, but the sun was warm on my skin. I sat by the water for a while and just enjoyed being outside. The mountains were partially covered with clouds, but they made for beautiful pictures. I visited Shakes Island, where there's a tribal house and totem poles. Very interesting to see the work that went in to carving the totems. I'm sure there's a story with every one. At the marina, I saw all sorts of boats--from old to new, small fishing boats to huge yachts. Then I went to Petroglyph Beach, where there are many carvings in the rocks on the beach. The story goes that the carvings were done by ancestors of today's Tlingit. No one knows for sure the reasons for these markings, but they sure are interesting. They are spread out across the beach, and you have to be a good detective to find them, since many of them are not very visible. I found 8 in the short time I was there. I think I'll have to go back and see if I can find more. I saw a bald eagle fly overhead. Awesome. As I was walking along the beach picking up seashells (one of my favorite pastimes in Wrangell), I saw two old boats that had run aground years ago, and they were never removed. Looked like a shot out of an old movie! Great picture opportunity! All in all, it was a great day to be outside. How quickly the weather can change though. It's cloudy tonight, but who knows what tomorrow will be like. I'm thankful for every beautiful day I get!

No comments: