Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Night at the Opera--in Wrangell?

Yes, it's true. I never imagined my first opera experience would be in Wrangell, AK, but tonight Grandma and I went to a concert at the Nolan Center. The singer was a lady who recently moved to Wrangell and she performed several selections from various operas. I think the highlight of the evening was people-watching. As people were finding seats in the auditorium, a flash caught my eye. I saw a lady entering the room and she sure was dressed to the nines. Her long jacket was COVERED in sequin flowers and beads, bright red in color. Someone made a comment to her, and she said people told her to wear her diamonds, which she revealed on bracelets as she pulled up her sleeves. She also had long, dangling earrings and big rings on both hands. Somehow she looked a little out of place. And guess where she decided to take a seat? Right in front of me! I thought Grandma was going to lose it when she got a closer look at the apparel of this lady.

She choked back her laughter and was able to compose herself before the next lady entered. She was part of the group ahead of us and she made her way to the seat directly in front of Grandma. And she was sporting a fur coat, not a long one, but a fur coat no less. Once again, we had to hold in our smirks. I suddenly felt very underdressed, but I felt a little better when I saw a lady come in with bright orange rain boots with her pants tucked into them! I guess you see all kinds, no matter where you go. It was a fun evening, and I can now say I've been to an opera, although it probably wasn't the music that stood out tonight! :)

1 comment:

erin said...

lol... that is tooooooo funny! i wish you would've taken a picture. i would have loved to see the sequins, diamonds, fur, and rain boots. but most of all i think i would've liked to see gramma trying to contain her laughter! :-)